"Star Trek: Into Darkness"

Film 3 (365)
Star Trek: Into Darkness
Carol Marcus (Alice Eve) gets gratuitously undressed for a scene in "Star Trek: Into Darkness".
Hey, you clicked on it didn't you?
The first ten seconds of "Star Trek: Into Darkness" provides the viewer with a birds-eye-view kung-fu zoom. This film gives us plenty of interstellar kung-fu zooms much in the vain of the Battlestar Gallactica series. They still feel just as cheap in a multi million dollar franchise. Director J.J. Abrams is also consistent in providing us with his now trademark lens flares [see video below for examples].

I expected nothing less than a good ol' fashioned popcorn adventure ride and that's exactly what I got. In fact I expected it to be full-on action ad nauseum. It wasn't and I'm glad. There are a few moments for the characters to develop, but not many.

If I have any beefs with this film it's that we aren't trusted as an audience. We're spoon fed every bit of information quite a few times just in case we didn't catch it the first go-round. The exposition becomes blatant at times. For example, a few members of the USS Enterprise head down to the "abandoned" Klingon planet of Kronos and are subsequently surrounded by, who else, Klingons! Several ships make their presence known by fire a few rounds from their ship to the small one containing Kirk, Spock, Uhura, and a couple of other guys whose names aren't worth knowing, they'll both be dead soon.


Uhura (Zoe Saldana), makes it very clear to us what's happening by stating, "We're outnumbered. We're outgunned. If we attack we'll all be dead." (or something like that). I laughed. But something tells me Abrams knows what this dialogue sounds like. He's more interested in the youngsters if you ask me. And let me tell you, my inner 5th grader was very pleased. If only Alice Eve had more skin time.




Comments

subscribe

Popular posts from this blog

Expectations

Who Needs a Critic?

"Life is Beautiful"